More power out of my 2000 MR2 spyder

Started by schaffo2, October 10, 2015, 16:27

schaffo2

Hi,

I would like to have a bit more power out of my 2000 MR2 spyder.
I have TTE exhaust, and 1½" exhaust manifold in my car today, no extra mods made.

What can I do (please send link for parts)
Will it help if I remove the cat?

Also does anyone have some good, but used parts for sale?

Please tell me what you think.

Thx

Anonymous

Turbo if staying with the 1zz

stargazer30

If you dont want to/can't afford to go turbo.  The answer you seek is here   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:    
http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27521&sid=cde4eb1d3ed21d24c7af66291e72ba11

Staying NA though can lead to lots of money for little gain.  Your best off sticking to the simple/cheap/easy stuff.  Decent iridium plugs, new air filter, markiii pipe, exhaust and ditch the pre-cats.  After that target unneeded weight and then improve bracing.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

CrazySX

if you want an easy win do the maf mod, thats what i am going to do until i turbo charge the MOFO next year  s;) ;) s;)

jvanzyl

It's interesting reading some of the mods from that link- some cars have a whole bunch of things done to them yet they don't seem to produce the expected power gains?
Makes you wonder about the life of those cars how much of effect that has on the actual power.

CrazySX

Quote from: "jvanzyl"It's interesting reading some of the mods from that link- some cars have a whole bunch of things done to them yet they don't seem to produce the expected power gains?
Makes you wonder about the life of those cars how much of effect that has on the actual power.
I think it's more a case of have toyota already got the most out of it. It's a well designed engine. Naturally aspirated it's very hard to get power out of an engine without emptying the bank!

lamcote

I think you get different results from different dynos/dyno operators. I often wonder whether some garages might give "optimistic"  figures compared to others because that makes the customer feel better. That would explain the differences you have identified.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Tags: