Got the springs, not got the guts.

Started by Tomo70, September 24, 2015, 20:17

Tomo70

I have already put new std springs and shocks on my Red Ed 2,recently bought some low mileage tien S springs off a member on here.

Problem is I have not been in a car and tried the ride. That being the case I have not had the guts to fit them.

I know the car looks better lowered, but when doing summer holidays to Europe don't want to compromise comfort.

Is there anybody in Leeds Wakefield area willing to meet up to let me get an idea how the car copes on speed bumps etc.

Or feed back good or bad on lowering the car.

Please don't upset me by talking about coilovers, I have already spent my allotted budget.

Thanks Tom  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

shnazzle

Good idea to try it. Also, speak to people who have had them and are going to so the kinds of drives youre likely to do
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

I am sure others will be a long to back me up. The ride is not compromised by the Teins. By all means get a ride in a Tein car.  I do not think you will notice much if any difference.
I stand to be corrected here, but. I believe the spring rate is the same as stock, just shorter.
Regards the ridiculous obstacles placed in the middle of the carriage way. Depends more on the lump than the car. The car remains the same but some lumps are much higher than others.
That a side. You can drive for miles and miles in a Tein sprung car and still have all your fillings and vertebrae still intact.

Listen to the voices. DO IT. DO IT.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ardent"I am sure others will be a long to back me up. The ride is not compromised by the Teins. By all means get a ride in a Tein car.  I do not think you will notice much if any difference.
I stand to be corrected here, but. I believe the spring rate is the same as stock, just shorter.
Regards the ridiculous obstacles placed in the middle of the carriage way. Depends more on the lump than the car. The car remains the same but some lumps are much higher than others.
That a side. You can drive for miles and miles in a Tein sprung car and still have all your fillings and vertebrae still intact.

Listen to the voices. DO IT. DO IT.

Agreed!

shnazzle

The spring rate is indeed the same as stock, or very similar. But they are shorter, this means that the springs will compress just as much, but you have less room to accommodate compression before you bottom out.

So,  not saying don't do it, but make sure that the roads around you cater to lowered cars and "bottoming out".

Stewart@Boro can tell you more of this phenomenon, but at the same time he ran them for years.
...neutiquam erro.

Tomo70

Yeah it's my discussions with Stuart and the fact that most people are selling them that's putting me off. That's why I would like to try on local roads.

Thanks for your responses so far, the jury is still out.

Ardent

Quote from: "Tomo70"most people are selling them that's putting me off.

Really? Where? who?
Could only see 1 listing right at the bottom of the private sales section.

Would not dream of taking mine off.

Tomo70

Ok, not lots of people selling them. Although I bought some of js1mr2 on the forum, they had done low mileage, stewartboro has just kindly donated his to the forum coffers.   s:D :D s:D

stewart@boro

I think I will def agree that ride comfort is not much different with the teins than with stock springs.
I loved the lowered, more aggressive look they gave the car and the little more stability the lower centre of gravity gave. Could get the power on a bit earlier coming out of bends as well.
Under normal day to day driving you would not have any problem bottoming out and you learn the best way to tackle the various varieties of speed bumps. The golden rule is never full on or straddle down the middle of the car.
Where they do give some bottoming out problems is if driven "spiritedly" (think you know what I mean by that) on undulating roads. Got in the habit of listening for the under tray scraping as an early warning to slow down a bit but you do still get caught out occasionally.
The coilovers eliminate this but at the price of a little discomfort if set high  s:) :) s:)  

If I was still on the Teins the other week in Scotland I would have experienced 1 or 2 scrapes the consequences of which over the last 3 years on the Teins has been some scuffing on the undertray, with 2 of the attachments having to be reinforced with bigger washers.

More of a problem has been the inability to drive straight on to some types of hoists or misjudging the entrance to my drive and letting the nearside front wheel drop into a kerb grate which caused the front bumper to catch on the pavement, but that was just bad driving  s:( :( s:(  
The standard jack will still go under the lowered car but you might need to purchase a low entry trolley jack if you were to use one.
On balance ........go for it
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

shnazzle

I think in a lot of cases the Teins/TTE 's are a gateway drug.
I know a few people have traded theirs in for a set of BCs or MeisterRs.
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Stu B
Could point on the low profile jack. I went for a halfrauds jack and a rubber ice hockey puck to act as a cushion. Works very well.

Tomo70

Cheers for the info chaps. Gonna sorn the car for 2 months I think. In that time do the hand brake, springs and tidy up the underbelly, and rear bracings. Did the front last year.

s12vea

Teins make the car loom and handle better without loosing comfort. You won't be disappointed once you have them fitted.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

CrazySX

Drives better than before just looks better and is a bit lower.  If you have standard bumpers you will be fine over humps etc. Mine was until today  s:o :o s:o  

kostonhumar

mines lowered by 6.6 and bumps are a freaking ANUS. running std 15's and it's the bomb! around the street but when I see a bump or a multi-storey carpark I feel my soul trying to escape my body.
I like it sideways!!

Mr2-s 1999 stock (For now!!!)  :?
Pug 106 ralle   8)

StuC

Quote from: "CrazySX"Drives better than before just looks better and is a bit lower.  If you have standard bumpers you will be fine over humps etc. Mine was until today  s:o :o s:o  
Best aftermarket bumper IMHO. Unfortunately for you, combined with lowing springs means you may never attempt speed bumps again or certain drives without coilies!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: