Steering wheel advice?

Started by Jrichards20, September 15, 2015, 10:22

Jrichards20

Can someone offer some help into how a steering wheel is attached?

Reason is, I want to know will an S1 elise steering wheel fit the Mr2? If yes, what do I need to buy and why cant they all just interchange!  s:x :x s:x

Cheers!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

There is a spline with a thread on the outside for the retaining nut.

The steering wheel spline size is important to match up

martin_b

A steering wheel usually  fits onto a boss, its this boss you fit to the steering column, to see if the boss will fit count the number of splines on the column, they should match the number on the Boss then as long as the retaining nut is the right size you should be good to go, assuming the wheel uses the usual MOMO  6 bolt pattern.
"Anyone who is not shocked by the quantum theory has not understood it."  Neils Bohr.. Attributed

Jrichards20

Thank you!  s:) :) s:)  so I need to make sure the steering wheel fits momo 6 bolt pattern and get a boss that fits the Mr2. Seems simple enough.
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

Quote from: "martin_b"A steering wheel usually  fits onto a boss, its this boss you fit to the steering column, to see if the boss will fit count the number of splines on the column, they should match the number on the Boss then as long as the retaining nut is the right size you should be good to go, assuming the wheel uses the usual MOMO  6 bolt pattern.

this is true for aftermarket steering wheels but oem steering wheels are usually one piece.

MilesH

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Reason is, I want to know will an S1 elise steering wheel fit the Mr2? If yes, what do I need to buy and why cant they all just interchange!  s:x :x s:x

Cheers!

If it helps, I looked at doing this as the Elise wheel is a good size for the MR2 (320mm) but the splines were different on the column and the wheel, and even if you modified them the length of the spline on the column was not sufficient to go through the S1 wheel and attach the nut with enough turns.

Jrichards20

Miles, that helps a lot, means I wont bother with it haha!

What wheel did you go for in the end?
Street Triple 765 RS

MilesH

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Miles, that helps a lot, means I wont bother with it haha!

What wheel did you go for in the end?

A 300mm OMP - I picked it up from ebay. The 320mm OMP seem to go for slightly cheaper and is the exact same size as the Elise wheel. If you're not worried about branding there are cheaper versions on ebay, just make sure you spot the difference between the polyuerethane, leather and suede versions as prices vary greatly dependant on which you choose.

andyroo104

Be careful when buying as I purchased a Momo replica steering wheel but the amount of flex was bordering on dangerous,this was for my mk1 so while at JAE I purchased a Kode steering wheel,had great reviews and is a really nice wheel.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

That's true Andy I had a cheap one and agree they are very weak.

I've seen the Kode ones, good to hear they are worth buying

Jrichards20

Maybe I will hold off on the steering wheel then. Looking online new and they all seem to be well over £100 which I think is a far too much for a steering wheel.
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

They aren't cheap!

martin_b

Don't underestimate what a difference a good Wheel can make, its  your primary interface with the car and as such worth spending a bit of money on. IMHO
"Anyone who is not shocked by the quantum theory has not understood it."  Neils Bohr.. Attributed

andyroo104

Have a look at the Kode range they are on eBay for around £60,as stated have great reviews and are of a great quality.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags: