Advice in getting the right braided hoses

Started by HFB, September 9, 2015, 09:32

GT4-Play

To Date i haven't had any returns or lines that have been damaged, i sell a lot of brake lines for various cars.
As mentioned once the lines are fitted ensure the lines do not foul on the inside of the wheel on lock to lock.

The clips i supply ensure everything remains where it should.

If i can assist please let me know  s:) :) s:)

HFB

OK, it turns out that I'm not set out to be a competent spannerer!   s:( :( s:(  

Thought I'd jack up the car, remove the wheels and see how easy it would be to loosen all of the relevent cable, nipples etc.

Fisrt wheel (OSR) came off, bleed nipple (with my M7 ring spanner) loosened fine...........the lower nut on the Brakeline (underside of the retaining bracket) wouldn't budge at all!!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Tried spanner and mole grips (was paranoid about chewing the bolt to bits, so left it) and it wouldn't budge.

Could see me causing more damage than good having a crack at 15 year old seized bolts on these lines, so going to bite the bullet and let the professionals do it properly and safely.

Hate the fact that the labour costs are going to be pretty much the same again as fitting the lines, front disks and pads, but at least once it's done, It should be good for some time and I know I'll then be able to take over on easy maintenance stuff (like replacing pads next time etc).

They're gonna fit StopTech stuff as they do lots of race setups for Jap Drift and performance cars and prefer it to both HEL and Goodrich.

I will also ask them to loosen and re-tighten the rear disk/pad bolts/nuts, so down the line, when I replace them also, I should have a better chance of doing some of the work.

Feeling rather pathetic at the moment, but knowing when not to do stuff myself can potentially save me money in the long run.

Still, I managed to stick on the bonnet badge without any hassle!!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

GT4-Play

HFB- Im only down the road from you in Haywards Heath.
I have a Roadster coming to me for a new PS Pump this weekend, if you need any assistance, give me a shout!

Steve

Anonymous

HfB - plus gas is your friend

tomaky

s:) :) s:)  the clip solves it all. For the the record the front isnt a issue its the back.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

shnazzle

It's not an issue!!!!
...neutiquam erro.

HFB

Quote from: "GT4-Play"HFB- I'm only down the road from you in Haywards Heath.
I have a Roadster coming to me for a new PS Pump this weekend, if you need any assistance, give me a shout!

Steve

Hi Steve

Thank you for your helpfulness.

I'm very tempted to take up your kind offer and pop over Saturday to get you to loosen all of the relevant bolts for me.

Do you have a workshop as well?

I thought you were a re-seller/distributor?

I struggle moralistic ally in getting someone from their trade to 'do me favours' which subsequently enable me to not use their skills they have built up to earn their living.

How much of your time do you think it would take to loosen off all relevant bolts for me?

I would gladly show my appreciation with coffee, donuts and any mundane monkey work tasks I can do to lessen the inconvenience!

HFB
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

shnazzle

Stupid question HFB but are you sure you're not trying to undo the welded-on nut? You're talking about the one that holds the flexi hose onto the strut right? Try the other side  s:) :) s:)  

Or do you mean the bolt at the end of the flexi, onto the caliper? In which case...are you turning it to the right? Looking at it from the side of the car, it's righty-loosey, lefty-tighty
...neutiquam erro.

HFB

Quote from: "shnazzle"Stupid question HFB but are you sure you're not trying to undo the welded-on nut? You're talking about the one that holds the flexi hose onto the strut right? Try the other side  s:) :) s:)  

Or do you mean the bolt at the end of the flexi, onto the caliper? In which case...are you turning it to the right? Looking at it from the side of the car, it's righty-loosey, lefty-tighty

Not a stupid question mate, just a stupid owner.

I was trying to undo the small (think it's a 10mm nut) that is on the underside of the bracket (beneath the retaining clip).

The connection above the retaining bracket looks almost like it is crimped on and doesn't appear to have a discernible nut shaped area to put a spanner to!

Sound's like you're right and I am trying to unto the welded bit that connects to the solid brake line! Doh!

I will get back under there tonight and take some snaps (mine is an MRS, so that might make it different from what most of you guys experience on here?)

HFB
2000 Roadster

tomaky

Underside of the bracket is the right nut to be undoing, its 10mm can be stiff if never been removed. plus might help a little but id go rachet hex socket with as much leverance as possible.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

shnazzle

Totally confused now as to what nut is being undone. I think the nut being undone is me
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

If you mean undoing the flexi from the hard line, then I sympathise as it took me about 15 mins and two mole grips, one on each side, to get that undone. Let's just say that next time I need to do the lines (never?) I'll need a new hard line made  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Oh and top tip from the owner of the garage I was in when I did my lines... Press the brake pedal in all the way and put a bar against it between the seat so that it stays there.
Stops brake fluid from forever leaking out.. As was the case with me
...neutiquam erro.

HFB

Quote from: "tomaky"Underside of the bracket is the right nut to be undoing, its 10mm can be stiff if never been removed. plus might help a little but id go rachet hex socket with as much leverance as possible.

Not sure how I could use a hex socket on it as it has the brake line coming out of it, so would be able to get a socket onto it......unless I'm being dim again!   s:?: :?: s:?:
2000 Roadster

tomaky

Quote from: "Topdownman"

SO lets start again, this is a front arch picture stolen from Simon.

Are we talknig about where the hose meets the line?

If so and in kind of a response to Patrick i did the exact same on this i started to round the 12 mm nut on the underside but thats beacuse i didnt have this :  m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yato-profession ... ne+spanner m
This gives you the extra grip, and the round one for me came straight of with no effort.

and you need a standard spanner on the other side pushing against the rotation of the lower nut.

Or its the one on the left of the other one and down abit. which is the 10mm bolt on the underside i suspect it isnt this one.
The rear arch is a different setup the hose meete the line at the top of the arch.

Does that help at all?
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

HFB

In your diagram Tomaaky, as you see the cable looping up, from the caliper and bends to the right (in towards the body of the car) and goes onto the thicker bit with a wider collar looking section (guessing about 2 inches in your pic), it then meets the flat, square bracket attached to the chassis.

The underside of that bracket there is a removeable clip to hold the cable secure.

The nut below that bracket/clip is the one that I am at risk of rounding off.

It is the last nut visible in the pic, before it meets the more rigid pipe that (as in this pic) then disappears under and up into the body of the vehicle.

That is the one I am uncertain would be able to use a 10mm socket on.

Those line wrenches in your link would be worth getting (been to a couple of auto shops and none of them seem to have them......they all say normal spanner or ring spanner (which worked great for the bleed nipple).

If this is the same bolt, then I will try and take it to a local garage and just get them to loosen them for me (after checking all of the others as I am getting irked at being thwarted by a little nut (awaits incoming mockery comments).

HFB
2000 Roadster

shnazzle

FYI my use of two mole grips came after many attempts with the line wrench  s:) :) s:)  
Tomo70 was kind enough to bring one that day.
So, best of luck. I'm intent of proving tomaky wrong it seems haha!
Love you Wallcrasher! Xxx
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

You got to be fair to tom as not everyone has a film named after them   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

shnazzle

Forrest Gump?
...neutiquam erro.

tomaky

Haha just go buy some spanners  s:) :) s:)  
Love you too haha
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

shnazzle

All the spanners I need on this forum haha.

Joking people!
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: