How to tell LSD gearbox

Started by PET77, September 7, 2015, 14:45

PET77

I know, that original MR2 UK 5-speeds should all be fitted with LSD from the factory. What was the rule for the UK 6-speeds? Some say, that some had it and some not... How do I tell?:-)

JoeCool

Jack the car up and support the rear. Put it in gear, engine off. Spin one wheel. If it clunk's and stops and can't be turned any more you have an LSD. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction, you don't.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

headcase

Not if you got a torque bias diff .

PET77

Not sure bout this, but MR2 should have a plate one, right?

Anyhow, the problem is, I am probably going to buy the thing unseen. Thus I need to have some criteria, what to look for (either be able to tell from photos or know, which car had it and which dont...).

Anonymous

there is a way to look through the drive shaft holes and see - but im afraid I don't know exactly the difference

Glubux

Quote from: "dick2ski"Thought Id post up some pics to help identify the boxes containing LSDs. This is a closeup of the driveshaft hole in the gearbox casing.

LSD from an 05 MR2

No LSD from an 01 MRS

PET77

Good, thank you! How does the hole look like, when there is no LSD?

kostonhumar

im going to jump on this mrs 1999-2000 these standardly don't have lsd right?
I like it sideways!!

Mr2-s 1999 stock (For now!!!)  :?
Pug 106 ralle   8)

M.R.

Just try to do doughnut. If you can do it, you have LSD and not if you just did dou instead of whole doughnut.  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:   Or check the VIN plate if it has "B" in "Trans/Axle". "B" is LSD and "A" is no LSD. Lot easier than removing driveshaft.

kostonhumar

2 months in and I only got round to checking this lol LSD wooooo
I like it sideways!!

Mr2-s 1999 stock (For now!!!)  :?
Pug 106 ralle   8)

Tags: