Homebrew turbo costs

Started by Mark A, July 4, 2015, 16:25

Mark A

When I finally get the MR2 mot'd I'm thinking of a turbo kit. I'be seen kits for sale for about 2k but I think I could do for a lot less.

I'd dip into the parts bin from the Subaru to keep costs down.

List of parts needed inc
Manifold £200
Turbo Nissan SX200 turbo £190
Charge cooler £100 I had thought about a Renault 5GTT intercooler mounted in the intake but too much hassle.
Various exhaust pipes £150
Maf pipe  £75 but might be possibleto reuse current one
Gaskets etc £50
Water and oil pipes £75

Items I have
Intercooler pipes
Silicon couplers
?440c injectors
Boost controller

I have almost enough skill to complete it myself but I can always pull in some favours if needed

Have I missed anything?

ChrisGB

Some sort of piggyback ECU?
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Leethesparky

Definately need a clutch for that list,
My stock clutch held out for 5psi, started slipping any higher
MR2 mk3 2001 -- done some stuff to it.
My car thread---http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53643
My YouTube channel---- https://www.youtube.com/c/spyderlee

spit

If you're going bespoke you'd be wise to have mapping and monitoring covered. Don't forget gauges and some funds for a mapping session.

The PE kit as standard gets away without bigger injectors and piggyback control in favour of an uprated FPR. Thats all very well but its intended for relatively low boost, and even then the AFR is all over the place.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

stargazer30

to add: Sports Cat and high flow exhaust
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

keljon

Quote from: "Mark A"When I finally get the MR2 mot'd I'm thinking of a turbo kit. I'be seen kits for sale for about 2k but I think I could do for a lot less.

I'd dip into the parts bin from the Subaru to keep costs down.

List of parts needed inc
Manifold £200
Turbo Nissan SX200 turbo £190
Charge cooler £100 I had thought about a Renault 5GTT intercooler mounted in the intake but too much hassle.
Various exhaust pipes £150
Maf pipe  £75 but might be possibleto reuse current one
Gaskets etc £50
Water and oil pipes £75

Items I have
Intercooler pipes
Silicon couplers
?440c injectors
Boost controller

I have almost enough skill to complete it myself but I can always pull in some favours if needed

Have I missed anything?

have you made any progress with this? where you getting a manifold for £200?
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

s12vea

Rich is selling his manifold turbo and down pipe check out the for sale section
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

s12vea

TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

keljon

£1200 for a turbo and downpipe is a bit rich for me
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

Anonymous

I have dropped to £1100 delivered. It also has a manifold and the downpipe does let you run your current exhaust so will save you getting an exhaust made. Also its equivalent is a gt2860rs and they are normally £700-800 on their own.

Mark A

Yes I have been collecting bits. I have the manifold, ECU and other smaller parts. Need to find an intercooler or charge cooler.

Planning in a couple of months to move the Impreza further down the garage so I can squeeze the MR2 in and then take a week or so to fit all the bits.

I'll update this thread when I start.

Tags: