sports cat failed mot

Started by Mark A, June 10, 2015, 18:44

Mark A

Took the MR2 for an MOT after a year off the road and its failed on 2nd fast idle carbon monoxide excessive.  It does n't have a value so I can't see if it's miles away or close. The car has a Toyo manifold and a CHE sports cat. I bought the cat second hand and it looks to have a pea size piece of exhaust putty go through it! Do I look for another cat or try again having taken it on the dual carriage way for 15 mins?

Mark

JoeCool

I'd definitely get them to test it when hot. So long as all is healthy that makes.most emissions problems go away.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Mark A

It was left for 10-15 mins before testing, the most of the exhaust pre cat is wrapped

s12vea

Sports cats seem to only just pass mot as above good thrash then drive straight into mot bay.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

TiM3

I've got a 100 cell cat on mine and I put a lambda spacer on the post cat sensor, it was fine at MOT, it might be worth a try as it was only a tenner of EBay.
2001 MR2 Roadster - Cusco front strut brace, Chico Racing shift bushes, soft top delete, 2ZZ-GE, Eliseparts sump, 6 speed box, 4.529 final drive, LSD, custom induction, Zorstec 4-1 manifold, 100cel cat, P&P full cage, RRS 6 points, Cobra Imolas, BC Coilovers (5/7) BattleVersion rear arms, polybushed front arms, poly windows, gutted doors and dash.

Eastsoutheast

I have a 200 cell sports cat and my car failed the emissions test twice but finally passed. I can't even explain how as the print out I have for the emissions test shows a fail each time but the pass certificate suggests it finally passed. This was at a fully independent strict test centre so no back handers took place.

The previous owner never had issues getting through the MOT either but from looking at the print out a smaller CAT would struggle with the current emissions test.

Good luck

Vietts

Some sports cat need some heat on it to pass mot. I had to hold the Rev at 4-5k for 3-4min to get mine to pass..mine a FIA a prove cat if that makes any different

tomaky

maybe cat cleaner?
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

s12vea

Or a very friendly mot tester  s;) ;) s;)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Anonymous

Becoming very hard to find though Steve!

Mark A

Before I buy a new Cat, I checked the voltages between the 3 lambda sensors on my bluetooth ODB2 adapter and did not notice much difference between the voltages. Is this what you would expect?

Mark A

Bump, anybody able to tell me what your MR2 readings are for the 3 Lambdas is?

wotugonado

Sports cats arent great unless red hot for mot test. I recently had loads of problems with mine for mot so put original cat back on. Post cat 02 doesnt affect the emissions just monitors whats coming out, so dont worry about that one too much.
Heres a link to a site that I found useful.

m http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm m

Hope that helps as its a massive pita when it keeps failing mots
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Mark A

Thats really useful and should help decide if the Cat is fubared

Mark A

quick update.

Magnaflow sports cat arrived and I realised I'd bought one slightly to large in the bore department. Could not be arsed to send it back so decide to cut and weld the section from down pipewhere it joins the rear box. I've not weld anything for about 10 years and during my practice on Suynday all was ok. Yesterday I seemed to have issues with the quality of the stainless steel on the CHE pipe. Its complete but not the most attractice job I've done but I hope a layer of exhaust wrap will hide this. I now have a dilema, I had planned to clamp the cat to the CHE pipe but I'm not convinced I will get a good seal in which case I may need to find someone with welding skills and a TIG welder to complete the task. I had wanted to only clamp the CAT so I can make another cat less pipe and swap them over. Hopefully I'll get this sorted by the weekend.

Mark

Mark A

So much for CHE sports cat. During the process or changing the failed cat I noticed this on the flexible joint

So once it's Mot'd I'll be replacing the flexible joint with one that's not restrictive, must be only 1" in diameter, no wonder it feels stranged

The guy who welded it up also said the SS was cheap Chinese crap.
 The finished item.

Mark A

So much for CHE sports cat. During the process or changing the failed cat I noticed this on the flexible joint

So once it's Mot'd I'll be replacing the flexible joint with one that's not restrictive, must be only 1" in diameter, no wonder it feels stranged

The guy who welded it up also said the SS was cheap Chinese crap.
 The finished item.

Mark A

Whoop whoop! MOT'd for another year, just in time for Autumn by the looks of it.

Anonymous

Nice work! Got there in the end

Mark A

Yes big relief, was getting frustrated.

This one is a keeper, persuaded the wife to sell her Mini and use my Touareg.

MR2 needs a couple of little jobs, new front bumper and rear diff oil seal.

Anonymous

From what I've seen you've out a lot of work into it so you may as well enjoy it for a while

Mark A

Don't scrub up too bad for an old girl.

That's it for a while, more to come on the handling and power front in the autumn.

Tags: