Air filter location and test results.

Started by Mr X, April 23, 2014, 18:35

Mr X

Seen as I like testing things so much I thought I will run my own little test on some air filter setups with K&N filter I installed vs standard in various configurations and post up some results.
I do have a side scoop I 3d printed installed but I will also produce more results with just standard vents and a new modified one I've designed that sticks out so I can feed a tube right out and onto the filter.

results:
Temp highest C = sitting idle
Temp lowest C = ambient temp
MAF lowest g/s = airflow at idle
MAF highest value = airflow at wide open throttle to 70mph

I will add more at the weekend....
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Mr X

Test 1

Filter location: behind the battery
Filter type: K&N cone 80mm internal bore
Shielded: No (cut air box to shield as much heat as possible)
Side vent scoop: Yes (own 3dprinted c-one style)

Intake temp @
30mph = 27c
70mph = 20c
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Vietts

Like!

Serversdownagain

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...should be interesting

dcod

Quote from: "Serversdownagain"I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...should be interesting

+1
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

StuC

It would be worth adding the ambient temperature as a baseline.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Mr X

Quote from: "StuC"It would be worth adding the ambient temperature as a baseline.
Ambient temperature is temp value lowest. That reading is taken between ignition on and engine on after it's been sitting outside all day. Unfortunately that's a main veritable I have no condition over. Hoping to get everything done within the next few days. Fingers crossed the weather doesn't change too much!
Another one I'm interested in is max air flow between the cone filter and standard set up. Hoping to get those ones at the start of next week.

kambanen

I might be interested for a L/H intake scoop to feed my ITG Maxogen...

dan944

Would you/ do you make these vents to sell? Would lie a set of c-ones but hard to get it seems
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Mr X

Ok, The app messed up and didn't take a screenshot correctly so I will just write it out.

***EDIT I've been running with this setup for 4 days now and have updated my results/Analysis**

Test 2
Set up:

Filter location: behind the battery
Filter type: K&N cone 80mm internal bore
Shielded: No (cut air box to shield as much heat as possible)
Side vent scoop: standard

Results:
Ambient temp: 12c
Idle temp: 35c
30mph temp: 25c
70mph temp: 22c (after long runs)
MAF min: 2 g/s
MAF max: 100 g/s

Analysis:
Idle temp, Ambient temp and MAF:
 Figures as expect as nothing has changed to really effect them. However, the idle temp is much more stable without a scoop. It doesn't like to move much where as with a scoop, it will suffer from heat soak very quickly but also cool down very quickly once you get moving.

30mph temp:
 This one was a surprise. The intake temp stayed a lot cooler for longer (21c) as I didn't drive fast for quite a while. I think this is due to the mouth of the vent having more surface area and less restriction. The car can then draw more air in from the outside and less form the engine bay. However once the car is at at 50mph+ there is no ram effect pushing the hot air generated out. When you go back down to 30 the temps won't go below 25. I drove around town quite a bit to test this.

70mph temp:
It would go down to 22c after being at idle but you have to drive for a fair few miles at speed.

I'm thinking maybe in this situation a shielded set up would make this a lot better as the car has no option other than drawing air in from the outside and the ram effect isn't needed so much. I plan on making an enclosed area with a feed to also test this. Also, I suspect that Test 1's ambient temp was also 13 and the 10c was from when I drove to work in the morning. I will have to re-run test 1 to omit any bias and be sure.

Conclusion:
If you have a normal c-one style scoop without a filter shield, the results would suggest you'll suffer from heat soak in stop/start town traffic but on the track when speed is involved, a scoop would be better. The intake temp is definitely more stable without one.

Looking forward to having some nice weather again so then I can shield off the filter and do some more tests.... I would think that with a wider mouth scoop (part printed) and a shield, would prove to be the best of both worlds.

I finished re-wiring my printer last night (melted stepper motor wires) and is currently warming up. I'm hoping to get the new vent printed over the weekend. In the meantime I am going to run with this set up to confirm my results.

Mr X

Quote from: "dan944"Would you/ do you make these vents to sell? Would lie a set of c-ones but hard to get it seems

There is another thread on this (3d printed parts) Hopefully, I maybe able to supply some. It depends on what people want, what the printer can do and my time. I do however have n un-prepared (not bonded or sanded) set sitting in my bedroom...

dan944

Are they as those shown in the image at the top of the page? When ou sy not bonded. Just need to be stuck to the vehicle? I can sand and spray things myself to a Sufficient level. How much would you be looking for if you decided to sell them?

Mr X

Quote from: "dan944"Are they as those shown in the image at the top of the page? When ou sy not bonded. Just need to be stuck to the vehicle? I can sand and spray things myself to a Sufficient level. How much would you be looking for if you decided to sell them?

have a loot at http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48029&p=561205. When I say bonded, I have to coat the print in an acetone/ABS mix to bond the layers of abs together. This dramatically improves the strength of the object. Then it's just sand + paint. I haven't thought about it that much but would probably endup being between £40-£50 each.... They are quite a bit of effort.

Looking that the update post I just made, it might not be the right move (depending on your set-up). I will know more once I do some additional tests with a shield built up around the back of the battery.

dan944

No probs. just one on this though. I have a BMC CDA intake. It's enclosed in a carbon fibre tube. I wonder how that would be for heat shielding? I'm going to be re-routing mine fairly soon so may let you know my results on that

dan944

To add to this previous comment. I'm going to remove the rear inserts and all that guff and put a plain ally grill in there with the number plate located at the very bottom. This will "improve" the flow out? He hopes lol also removed the cover from the top grill. Will check it out on my app and see how it stands.

steve b

I've had some good low intake temps with a duct to the side vent and a CBS carbon can filter.

2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Mr X

3c intake temp? what as it outside? -10?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Just a quick update. I've finished the new vent to see how low i can get these temps:

I have some 60mm duct on order and some spare 1mm sheet I'm going to use to build an enclosure. I was hoping to get that done this weekend but it's raining... can't weld in the rain   s:( :( s:(  Hopefully, next weekend will be better!

Mr X

Quote from: "dan944"To add to this previous comment. I'm going to remove the rear inserts and all that guff and put a plain ally grill in there with the number plate located at the very bottom. This will "improve" the flow out? He hopes lol also removed the cover from the top grill. Will check it out on my app and see how it stands.

I'm not exactly an expert but I would have thought you would just end up with negative pressure as behind the back of the car is a void of air so to speak. That's why tailgating someone saves you lots of £££ less air in the wake of another object as most is pushed around it. But hey, who knows without a wind tunnel?   s:D :D s:D

Do you mean the cover on the engine lid that stops rain splashing over everything?

ducatiross

That looks really cool ! Forget if it works, it looks great !

dan944

Quote from: "Mr X"
Quote from: "dan944"To add to this previous comment. I'm going to remove the rear inserts and all that guff and put a plain ally grill in there with the number plate located at the very bottom. This will "improve" the flow out? He hopes lol also removed the cover from the top grill. Will check it out on my app and see how it stands.

I'm not exactly an expert but I would have thought you would just end up with negative pressure as behind the back of the car is a void of air so to speak. That's why tailgating someone saves you lots of £££ less air in the wake of another object as most is pushed around it. But hey, who knows without a wind tunnel?   s:D :D s:D

Do you mean the cover on the engine lid that stops rain splashing over everything?

Hmm. User what you mean. But surely with the air passing in through the side vents the more open area it has to leave the better? I may just be making it up but it seems to make sense. And I'm talking about the rear inserts and the top cover. Although that may be going back on. Sick of my rusty parts engine!! It's not good.

steve b

Quote from: "Mr X"3c intake temp? what as it outside? -10?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Something like that, it was in winter however it was also over an hour commute into Oxford and stop start traffic included so shows a duct to the side intakes does work.  :-) :-) :-)
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

kambanen

Very neat ! I am really interested ! Are you planning a production line? I do need one for my L/H side.

GarethB

I'd be interested in these vents too if you were to produce some - they look fantastic   s8) 8) s8)  

Great work on the testing thus far too   s:D :D s:D

Jrichards20

Post to view later. Unless anyone knows of a way to do a "personal sticky"?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

mikews

Off topic but Jrichards20, If you use tapatalk you can subscribe to the thread

Tags: