Annoying beeping

Started by Anonymous, January 17, 2010, 20:09

Anonymous

Hi,

Does anyone have the same trouble as me?  When driving, especially if im stopped on a hill as I pull away I get a beeping.  Ive looked in the manual and it says im overcooking the engine.  
If im stuck in traffic not moving for a while when I go to move it happens, its proper annoying and makes me hate my car for a short while!
I don't get a warning light and the beeping goes after 30 seconds or so.  Also if I pull away really quick and hoy the revs right up it happens.  
Can this be disconnected?  Also my car is SMT.
Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Also wanted to mention, it sounds kinda like the reverse beeping.  Think if i disconnect that it will stop?
I dont need a reverse beep, im driving a go-kart not a LGV!

The Lum

Could it be that your coolant is low/weak and the high revs are causing the ecu to momentarily think the car will over heat?
The man. The legend. The Lum

Anonymous

Ooooh now you got me worried?  I shouldnt think so as ive just had a service done recently.  This happened the day I drove it from the garage waiting in the tyne tunnel queue.  Ive read a thread on how to disconnect the wire to stop the reverse beep, i hope its on the same circuit.
Ive also read that there is something you can do with the key to activiate some code to turn it off so i'll keep searching for now.

markiii

if its beeping its likely beeping for a reason, just disabling the beep without proper investigations is just asking for disaster
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Bugger all to do with coolant or engine temp. At a guess you are sitting in stationary traffic with the SMT selector in drive for more than a minute or two. The other cause is the clutch is slipping and needs to be either re-trained or replaced.

Anonymous

I cant find any threads relating to it like.  Unusual, ive had the car nearly 2 year and it does it rarely but when it does its the most annoying thing ever!
Looks like I might need a trip to the dealers.  Its obv. something to do with the SMT.

I know it beeps if you leave it in gear without moving and goes back to neutral, this happens if im on an incline for like 10 seconds.
Imagine im on a hill with my foot on the brake, as i go to pull away in that split second I lift off the brake to go to throttle i slip back a little bit down the hill, as I rev it will beep.

mrzwei

You normally only get the 'beeping' if the car is in reverse or if you are in too high a gear for the enging revs (ie should have changed down). You can also sometimes get it when you fuck up the gearchange. I don't think you should be getting it on a regular basis as you describe. Try surfing Spyderchat over the pond as well because they have a bespoke SMT forum. Try someone with a code reader near you but I'm not sure whether or not this covers the SMT.

Edit; as Steve says, the handbook says flip it into neutral at traffic lights, but this doesn't explain the hill start bit unless you are taking ages to pull away   s:D :D s:D  If you put your foot on the brake whilst stationary, then this should disengage the clutch (according to the handbook) Maybe it should just stop the car   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

This happens when im in first tho.  I really thought someone else would have experienced this.
When I was first getting used to the car I thought it maybe had something to do with my left foot breaking and reving the car with the brake on (obv. not good practice) but it just happens when it feels like it.  Its not happened for weeks but I can garentee when i drive to work the morra it will beep at the traffic lights!!!

Thanks everyone!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"Bugger all to do with coolant or engine temp. At a guess you are sitting in stationary traffic with the SMT selector in drive for more than a minute or two. The other cause is the clutch is slipping and needs to be either re-trained or replaced.

Just checked Spyder chat and someone else speaks of this problem and everyone has replied with the clutch is slipping.
Any idea how much these cost or can anyone suggest a good replacement part?  Would a lightwieght flywheel make much difference to drive n performance?

mrzwei

Occasionally, I flick the lever into 'S' and it just beeps, ie the '1', first gear light doesn't come on on the dash. The cure is straight back into 'N', then back into 'S' and the problem is solved. I think the handbook makes mention of this proceedure but I can't quote. The equivilent of stalling really with a manual tranny.

Edit: You lot are too quick for me   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Yeah that has happened to me b4 too.  Usually when I start the car and put it into gear b4 the car is ready, sometimes if i put it in reverse it doesnt go in right away and after a second or 2 clunks in!
Making me think that it is most likely a clutch problem.  When I think about it ive had quite a bit of bother with this car (albeit often my fault).  Still I love it!

Hamezi

Hope someone can help -

I'd like to turn off the beep alarm that sounds when I exit the car with the key in the ignition. How do I disable it please?

Gaz mr-s

Remove the plastics under the steering column to expose the plugs into the ignition switch.
I believe all of them have 3 or more wires in the plugs, apart from one which has only two.
It's on the left side IIRC. Unplug it.  :)

Tags: