Boosted

Started by bridster, July 15, 2009, 09:54

bridster

Hi
Im just going through fitting my turbo kit and am just wondering if i can get some help on the boost signal fitting side of life

1, do i have to fit the boost gauge adapter onto the intake manifold? or can i plum it into the internal wastegate actuator signal hose?
2, i have a forge bypas valve that recirculates any over bosst back into the intake this also has a signal connection that im also not sure where to plum.

Any help much appreciated
rik
  s:D :D s:D

PS i never bought a full kit as i managed to get a brand new garrett gt25 turbo and a top secret manifold, so ive sort of put a kit together myself and saved a few hundred quid, mind you im now grey and wish id just bought a kit, ha ha
Need more money.. soooooooo much nice things for the mr2 to buy.

markiii

internal wastegate actuator signal hose?

where is this connected?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

No.1 is for a gauge or is it a boost controller?
No. 2 is a recirc dump valve?

Both should connect to the manifold post throttle body. Best is to break into the manifold side of the pipe to the small blue valve to the left of the cam cover (presuming yours is still there). Sorry I don't have a pic at the moment. but can post one later.

I'm presuming it is a gauge you plumbing in. Does it read vacuum as well as boost? if so it must be manifold. Actuator signal would only show boost and not vacuum.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

Quote from: "custardavenger"No.1 is for a gauge or is it a boost controller?
No. 2 is a recirc dump valve?

Both should connect to the manifold post throttle body. Best is to break into the manifold side of the pipe to the small blue valve to the left of the cam cover (presuming yours is still there). Sorry I don't have a pic at the moment. but can post one later.

I'm presuming it is a gauge you plumbing in. Does it read vacuum as well as boost? if so it must be manifold. Actuator signal would only show boost and not vacuum.

depends if the turbo he has has a nipple for boost reference welded on, some do some don't
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Irrespective of where your actuator feed is, bottom line for boost measurement and dump valve is that you want to be after the throttle plate. So that's the "angled" breather hose connection on the TB or the VSV line.

If your turbo actuator is fed from anywhere else, don't use it. If its running from one of those, then you can use it, but make sure its before any form of boost controller!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

Quote from: "spit"Irrespective of where your actuator feed is, bottom line for boost measurement and dump valve is that you want to be after the throttle plate. So that's the "angled" breather hose connection on the TB or the VSV line.

If your turbo actuator is fed from anywhere else, don't use it. If its running from one of those, then you can use it, but make sure its before any form of boost controller!

nicely summed up

bridster

Yep its a recirculating dump valve that im plumbing in..

Basically i have to fit a gauge, plum in the dump valve and also fit the pipe that goes to the turbos actuator..
Ive red through a few turbo books and they say the wastegate actuator signal is best taken from as close to the turbo outlet as pos, before the intercooler or even of the turbo itself.

I hope i dont sound to daft asking these questions, but i dont want to get it wrong.

rik

custardavenger

Quote from: "bridster"Yep its a recirculating dump valve that Im plumbing in..

Basically i have to fit a gauge, plum in the dump valve and also fit the pipe that goes to the turbos actuator..
Ive red through a few turbo books and they say the wastegate actuator signal is best taken from as close to the turbo outlet as pos, before the intercooler or even of the turbo itself.

I hope i dont sound to daft asking these questions, but i dont want to get it wrong.

rik

It is an ok place for a guage, but the wrong place for a dump valve line. The dump valve works on vacuum, This is created in the manifold when the throttle is closed. So the correct place to plumb a dump valve is between the Thottle body and the engine. You may have read about the waste gate actuator which is best taken closest to the turbo for reliable operation.
Project Custard Clicky

bridster

Cool
So i can run my dump valve and gauge from the vsv line and the waste gate actuator from the turbo exit.
Cheers

custardavenger

You got it.
Project Custard Clicky

bridster

Many thanks   s:D :D s:D  
Much appreciated.
Rik

jamfe355

i know its an old thread, but can i ask, installing a recirc dump/blow off valve, are you plumbing on to the 10-12mm vsv lines, i.e the line that comes of fthe side of the intake ?
2002 balck MR2, Eibach springs, Apexi exhaust system, corky\'s, cusco front and rear brace, lower front tie bar,  Bmc carbon air filter plus some minor tweeks.

Tags: