Project Custard - Gearbox issues

Started by custardavenger, May 12, 2008, 18:16

muffdan

Good news, glad it's turned out to be ok after all!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

WillsSayers

Quote from: "E"It sounds to me like you may have an airlock.

I've had air in the mk2's coolant system from when I didn't bleed it properly - but there was plenty of popping and banging from the air moving about to let me know; surely Rob would have the same noises? I assume (probably incorrectly) that when the thermostate reaches temp, it opens up the rad. So if the thermostat is bust, the coolant would be heating up in the whole system, but not getting in to the rad to cool down (hence the pipe in to the rad being hot, but the pipe out being cold)? Or am I completely wrong there?!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

custardavenger

What happened exactly is we filled the cooling system getting rid of all the air we could. Gave it the first run and it continued to climb, tried it again this morning and same thing. Then I left it for a while and when I came back the pipe to the thermostat was warm (heat tranfer I guess) so gave it another run and this time it held temp at 98 but the fans were running the rad was cold and there is still no heat from the heater. There is definately water in the pipe to the thermostat as you can feel it in the pipe. I think it may be getting round the system but not fast enough.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

loadswine

Did you have the back end up in the air Rob? The roadster can be a real pig to bleed all the air out. Might need to do this several times I reckon.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

custardavenger

No. Will try that. I hope it works as I'm now worried about missing the world record attempt. Gonna have my work cut out getting the brakes finished.
Project Custard Clicky

loadswine

Raising the back end should help a bit. Mark did an ace account of the bleeding process in the ref section I think, if it helps at all.

custardavenger

Sweet, will look that up.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

OK a few pics to show from the weekend

Oil catch can. I have got something else that would make a good catch can but this is lighter.

Water injection tank. Washer bottle from a rover 400. Not a perfect fit but close. I haven't got a bumper to make sure it fits yet and will probably remove the stock air pipe that goes over the wheel so that I can move it forward and rotate it a bit more.

Other than that hopefully the bumpers arn't too far away. Will be buying some wiring components tomorrow to put in circuits for the future planned mods and WI. Brakes are plodding along. Am hoping to have crash bar done by next weekend then everything can go for powder. Then I just need to find a chunk for the insurance. It's getting closer, I did manage to roll it out into the Sun on Monday before I left and clean the interior. Just need to polish wheels and panels.
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

nice work and nice find with the rover bottle!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

custardavenger

Yeah I love hunting round the scrap yard. First one I bought I took home only to find it had been emptied with a screwdriver in the bottom. This one is good though. Will need the float fitting and bungs making for the pump holes.
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

Busy Busy Busy.

Looks like I'll be back to my mum's every weekend in May trying to get the car finished. Did get some jobs done this weekend but some will have to be shelved till after the cars on the road.

Got the brake disks back. They look good and was impressed by how well they did at caoting my rusty front disks, I did panic for a second that I'd bought the wrong rear disks when I had them next to each other and noticed the rear disks are bigger. You learn something new.
Coolant wise. The level in the bottle had dropped and when run it seamed better but it's not quite there yet. Need to buy some more coolant but am not worried about this now. Will just be keeping an eye on it and topping up as needed.
Lost a knuckle removing the stock air pipe. Didn't give me the room I hoped it would with the WI tank. Will have to see when I get the bumper back. If it doesn't fit I'll go straight to getting one made at TTS. Have not managed to get the Crash bar done in time so that will have to wait till the second round of powder coating.

Thanks to SteveJ there has been progress made on the PFC comander screen. After he blinded me with science it works out that the comander doesn't like being away from it's screen. We've proved that bath haven't been damaged with the messing about I've been giving them. Next try is to find a way of fitting the comander behind the screen.

So it's all pannic on the getting the calipers finished. Will be going in early to work this week. And hoping I can get the bumpers back in time. Every thing else will have to wait.

So much to do. ooh the pressure!!!
Project Custard Clicky

custardavenger

So finally got first round of powdercoat back today. Gives me only a few hours to build the calipers before going back for the weekend. Coating is not as thick as I had hoped but have some touch up paint.

Have front calipers done. And I that excited about it. I can't not show the pics.

I'm really happy with how they came out but didn't realise it would be so much work. I should have had them off when the engine went and did them over the winter. Oh well you learn.

So if all goes well I should be able to get the rears done for this weekend. Get a few other jobs done and be roadworthy (but for front bumper). Then it just an ouch of insurance and Then four months solid of rain and wind. lol
Project Custard Clicky

loadswine

Looking very nice there Rob.  s8) 8) s8)

triz

Very nice. I dont think Ive ever seen orange calipers.

custardavenger

Cheers guys. I like to be different.

Made a start on the rear calipers. Have been held up but having to make the caps that Toyota helpfully won't sell you. Pics later
Project Custard Clicky

uktotty

Sexy Orange! Love it!

custardavenger

Russ.You wait till you see the other bits. BTW you seen the meet at my place thread yet? You can have you grill back and I'll hopefully get on to the template week after next.
Project Custard Clicky

uktotty

Quote from: "custardavenger"Russ.You wait till you see the other bits. BTW you seen the meet at my place thread yet? You can have you grill back and I'll hopefully get on to the template week after next.
Nope didnt find it, Nige was on about it but cant see the thread

StuM

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "custardavenger"Russ.You wait till you see the other bits. BTW you seen the meet at my place thread yet? You can have you grill back and I'll hopefully get on to the template week after next.
Nope didnt find it, Nige was on about it but cant see the thread

Here you go Russ:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25007&p=309849#p309849
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

uktotty

cheers Stu  s:) :) s:)

custardavenger

OMG what a day.

Managed to sort the cap out but was a struggle. I will explain.

The cap goes here (Black arrow)

I had assumed (wrongly) that it would come in the new gasket kit as it is part rubber. It didn't come with the gasket set and even though it is a seperate part on the parts diag it doesn't have a part number and therefore is not available to buy from Toyota (well done Toyota). So I had already knackered one (the one in the photo with a bolt through it) and I didn't bother removing the other so it got cooked in the coating process. I was going to make some simple aluminuim caps to replace them but when I showed them to one of the guys at work he noticed that it has a slot in the rubber part to let air in and out. So I had top try and replicate it. (sorry pictues are a bit rushed).

Made a cutter to cut out rubber. (This rubber didn't work and I used somthing thinner)

Made cap

Slit it

And fitted

Work pretty well, but will be keeping an eye on them to make sure theres no problems.

All in all rebuilding the calipers was quite easy if it haddn't been for the powder coat prep. The rear caliper service tool was indespencible and I have alot of other kit that makes it easy so when I never have to do it again I'll be prepared.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  The only other thing I'll mention it grease. Toyota quote to use "Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease" it doesn't seam to exist by that name. You do get a small sachet in the front brake caliper kit (Not the rear?), which I used on the internal seals and pistons. For all other gaskets I used Red Rubber Grease from Opie Oils and for metal to metal contact I used Moly grease (Opie again).

Well I'm glad they're done and can't wait to have them on the car. If anyone needs and info on calipers then feel free to ask. Can't wait for the weekend.
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Looking Great!

custardavenger

Well it was two long days of work on the car and it's so close to being back on the road. All the calipers fitted well but for one that somehow managed to have a damaged thread and I had to go out to the local tool shop for a tap (£16 ouch), while there I met someone very interesting which I'll tell you about later.

Anyway, The brakes are now as good as I can afford. Bremtech drilled and grooved disks front and rear which I had Zinc passivated, Yellow stuff pads all round, Goodridge brake lines, rebuilt calipers, speed bleaders and Ate Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid. Can't wait to see how it all performs!

Here is a little pic to show how awsome the calipers look. Better pice will be taken next week.

As well as the brakes I also fitted my kirks (cut down), fitted a big bore throttle body and tried the washer bottle/WI tank but it didn't fit behind the bumper. Tried the bumper with my design rear crash bar. Gonna look great when it's finished.

So lots done and lots still to do but to get on the road it just needs a front bumper and a couple of other bits and bobs.

Now the big question. Can anyone lend me a PFC Commander for a few weeks just while I have the car on shakedown? Mine is being modified at the mo.
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

looking good mate, the orange looks real nice against all the black.
Jason

loadswine

Looking good Rob, glad to see its all coming together.

Tags: